Thursday, September 2, 2010
Made Croissant Pudding for supper last night (Currently making Banana cake again! HAHAHAHA). Nope, it's not that I have the sudden craze for baking recently, I've been into the dessert making craze for quite some time, just that I didn't really record most of my confections in pictures until not too long ago where I decide I should just do it and show off a lil' :P
Don't ask me why am do I enjoy getting cooped up in the kitchen in the night either. I just have knack for cooking in the night. Cool, peaceful & quiet :) (Imagine if I do it in the day my mom will be by my side NAGGING NON STOP!!! "No! You shouldn't do it this way, you should do it that way", "No! You've too much, shouldn't add so much, such a waste", "Cook it longer, it's not cooked yet" etc)
Anyway, these are the ingredients for my pudding :D
2 Croissants
Caster suger
Cream
Milk
Eggs
Just 5 ingredients, fairly simple :)
First, dissolve the sugar in some water. Do not stir, the recipe said swirl it around instead
Next, just put it over medium heat and let it turn into a caramel. It'll take a few minutes before the colour starts to change
There, the colour's starting to change
Need to be real careful at this point. Once the colour turns yellow, somewhere in between pale and bright yellow, turn off the heat and add the cold cream immediately.
The caramel will bubble furiously upon contact with the cold cream
Turning off the heat is to decrease the rate of cooking of the caramel. The addition of the cold cream is to further stop the rate of cooking of the caramel. However, the caramel will continue to cook even after this 2 procedures but at a much slower speed. Thus, as you whisk the cream, the caramel will continue to change colour
That is the reason why you need to carry out the 2 procedures when the caramel is at that specific colour. This is because if you do it after the caramel is bright yellow. The whole mixture will turn brown after adding the cream and stuff. Not that it's inedible just that the it'll look damn unappetizing, imagine a light brown pudding, together with the pointed edges of the brown croissant, LOOKS LIKE MUD!!!!
Next add the milk and eggs and continue whisking
Now the colour of the custard is a delightful light yellow :)
Keeping whisking till any toffees which are formed during the addition of the cream has dissolved. This will take some time too, approximately 2-3 mins.
Next, just pour the custard over the croissant and leave it there for sometime to let the croissant melt. It is better if you press the croissant while it's soaked in the custard to let it absorb more effectively
Lastly, just throw it into the oven for a nice 20 mins
CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!
|Shi Hao| 10:46 PM|
------